Friday, May 31, 2013

A Few Notes

Water
The water is officially and finally on. I have filled some barrels to get everyone going but not all. I am handing over those reigns to the volunteers who belong to that task. On that note, if the barrels are ever empty and you happen to be spending some time at the garden, feel free to fill one or two up - as in you don't have to wait for someone else to do it. We have quite a few more barrels this year so I'm hoping we won't empty them as fast as we have in the past.
There is confusion every year on how to turn on the water in the garden. If you want to know how, come by the garden on a Wednesday night while I am there and I will show you. It has proven too hard to explain in written form and much easier to demonstrate but it still all boils down to "turn on tap - get water".

The Fox
Some of you may have noticed a bushy tailed visitor in and about the garden. A red fox has taken a liking to the garden area and is spending a lot of time patrolling the area for ground squirrels and mice. This is a good thing for the garden and free pest control at its finest. Having said that, I ask that you do not try to feed the wild animal or leave food for it. I also ask that you keep an eye on your pet and children if you bring them to the garden. The fox has shown aggression towards a smaller dog in the garden and wether that's due to territory, a young family close by or an easy meal, I don't know but we should not be tempting the animal in any regard.

Task Assignments
I've posted the task assignments above. If anyone is confused about their task or where to find it, contact me and I will explain further.

Planting 
If you haven't yet, this weekend would be a great time to plant. Rain and warmish temperatures are forecast throughout the weekend which the seeds will appreciate. Remember that the deadline for planting is June 10th. Plots not planted by that date may be turned over to those on the waiting list or planted for the foodbank.

Have a great weekend everyone!